Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Song of the Week: Ding-Dong Daddy

The Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line

The newest song I want to talk about by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, our Artist of the Month, is "The Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line".

I have loved this song from the first moment I heard it. It's off of the 1997 album Zoot Suit Riot and Swingin' Hits of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and was specifically recorded for the album, where as many other songs on the album are from previously recorded albums. This is swing music at it's finest with a great instrumental break in the middle with a breakdown in there as well. The vocals are tremendous and the entrie song gets my toes tapping and my heart pumping for the music which I love so much, swing. The song is about a man who sleeps with a lot of women. He's pretty much a womanizer that "could not restrain himself when he saw a nice caboose." My favorite lyrics have to be about the women he's "loved" getting together to confront him while on the D-Car Line reminding him that "this ain't Salt Lake" (meaning he's not Mormon so he doesn't get to have them all at once) and he "ain't Don Juan".

The ladies got together and decided they'd been had
This ain't Salt Lake and you ain't Don Juan, man
We've got to give you credit we was happy for a time
But you're the Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line


I found a nice live version of the song on Youtube.com I thought you would like to see.




Join me next Wednesday for the next song by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

No comments: